Ocean Data View is a "spreadsheet" format, i.e. a set of rows each with the same fixed number of columns.
- ODV comprises three different column types:
- Metadata columns (for instance, the operation number) which are always at the start of the row
- Reference parameter columns (for instance depth, time, etc.) positioned after the metadata columns
- Parameter columns positioned at the row end.
Each parameter column is associated with a quality indicator column.
- An ODV file includes three types of rows:
- comment rows
- column header rows
- data rows.
- Each file comprises a single data type from among the follow three types:
- vertical profiles measured in the ocean water column from the surface to the seabed
- time series measured at a fixed point
- measurements taken along the platform's trajectory (for instance, a ship's route or a buoy's drift).
Exemple d'un fichier ODV
//Provider: Institute of Marine Sciences, Middle East Technical University
//SESAME data policy: Originator
//SESAME package: WP1
Cruise Station Type yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.sss Longitude [degrees_east] Latitude [degrees_north] Bot. Depth [m] "Sea Level, m" "Temp, °"
Parameter mapping according to SESAME vocabulary => SLEV TEMP
RMN Messina * 2006-02-15T00:00:00.000 15.56777778 38.18916667 0 0.22 14.2
RMN Messina * 2006-02-15T01:00:00.000 15.56777778 38.18916667 0 0.18 14.2
RMN Messina * 2006-02-15T02:00:00.000 15.56777778 38.18916667 0 0.15 14.2
Full examples of the three types of files can be found on the SeaDataNet website.
The full specifications of the ODV format can also be downloaded from the SeaDataNet website.